Thursday, June 5, 2008

Livin' la vida lujosa

Susan's daughter and her family are so incredibly sweet! I came here expecting to camp in their yard, only to discover that my impending visit had motivated them to work on their guest house in a not-much-used outbuilding on their property. So now I have walls and a roof, a bed, an easy chair, a table, electricity and a heater. They let me shower (it's the first time I've showered without flip-flops since that hotel in Spokane), fed me and told me to do laundry. They said to stay for as long as I like. They might never get rid of me!

I am near the towns of Columbia Falls and Whitefish, something like fifteen miles from Glacier. I'm sure soon the wanderlust will kick in again and I will be off to see the ice before it melts.

Today Susan and her husband Jim took me into Whitefish to check out the great bike shop there. I picked up some degreaser and signed the touring guest book. Today also happens to be the thirteenth birthday of Susan and Jim's granddaughter. Happy birthday! I totally got lucky, because I got here in time for pizza, cake and ice cream. I'm loading up on the calories before I get back on my bike.

As to Kim's questions: I've never been good at answering superlatives. Perhaps it has something to do with my indecisive libra nature. The coolest and oddest things I've seen this week... I've been trying to add two photos to my new flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26490833@N02/ I think this link works. If not, search "peripatetically speaking" on flickr.com) that might answer those questions, but I am having some spotty reception issues, so I haven't been able to do that yet. I always find the weird little symbols on signs to be wacky. You know what they're *supposed* to mean, but it's so easy to see something different. I saw a couple of good signs on restaurants a few weeks ago that I didn't photograph. One said "Country Kitchens" and then there was a big mural painted on the side wall of the restaurant that said "A Mexican Restaurant." The other one said "(somebody or other)'s Bar and Grill- A Family Restaurant." So that's enough of what I find odd. The coolest thing: I know I keep saying it, but everywhere I look it is so amazingly beautiful. The mountains, the trees, the lakes, the rivers, Kootenai Falls... The other really cool thing was the breakfast buffet sign. That's probably an anticlimactic answer. If you had asked me the grossest thing, it would be easier, because I would only have to pick from the two or three larger roadkill items I have seen. The dogs always get me.

There is a snippet of song that keeps running through my head:

"Go where you think you wanna go,
Do everything you've been saving for
..
Promises, promises, promises-- words."

-Fugazi, "Promises"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Random thought: Are you the reason I have Fugazi on my iPod?

Peg said...

Your photo link worked for me. Coffee, good reading material and pictures too....what a great way to start the day. Pictures from the top of Beacon Rock prove that the view is fantastic and that you "rock"! Great to hear that you continue to meet wonderful people.

Unknown said...

I've been wondering how many roadkills you've been passing close by. I hope they are not as traumatic for you as the deer we bumped over *twice* in the back seat of that squad car:

"Ummm, sir? ...was that? ..."

*Sigh* Ahem. "Yes. Uuummmm, sorry 'bout that."

MOM said...

WOW!! You did time it right. What nice people. That is awesome.
Peg, you have hit several nails on the head re: daughters, good material to wake up to, etc.
Well Cheri, how does it feel to have attained one of your desired goals on this trip? You mentioned Glacier more than a couple times and here you are. What did you find and decide after the 15 mile trip with Susan and Jim? Or are you all cozied in there for the winter? lol.
I'm happy you are there and have made it through some pretty tough going.
Keep on bikin'.

MOM said...

Hello again,
I should have click on the picture site first before commenting first time. It took me right in there, just haven't messed with the comment stuff too much as it looked like you had to sign up, so just came here to comment for now. Pretty views. I recognize the cat sign.
Talk later.

Regular human said...

Hey! I am listening to "Social Intelligence". You should have it. I think you might like it.

AJ said...

I heard about your trip and had to come check out your blog. What a great experience...