Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This trip is starting to feel like a hunt for reception...

The woman who drove me out to get cell reception saw that my tent was from REI, and told me that her member number was only three digits long. I was like, "resPECK!"

Tuesday: I was sure I would get reception in Chester, which was just nineteen miles from the Galata Motel, since it was a large town, by Montana standards. Nothing. Boo. But there was a nice rest stop, where I met some lovely Minnesotans, don't ya know, who gave me grapes and cold juice and a cookie. Then I met some German touring bikers, who thought I was a fool for not having the Adventure Cycling map.

I rode on. The shoulder was huge for most of the day, practically another lane. What's a girl to do when she has her own lane on a long long long straight road, with nothing to look at but endless seas of grass and blue skies? Why, practice riding with no hands, of course. I never ever ever in all my life thought I would be *that* girl. Maybe I'll join the circus...

I stopped at a gas station to get a cold drink, and struck up a conversation with the guy who worked there and a customer about where to camp. The customer was a zany old gal, and I really wish I could remember her name. She was fun. They told me about the city parks in the towns coming up, and the customer told me the park in Hingham had a covered picnic table area, which was nice if the weather got bad. The mechanic and I looked at each other, then at the cloudless sky, and I said, "You expecting some bad weather?!" She chuckled and said "Well, in case there's a thunderstorm..." I would have never had this conversation if I had the adventure cycling map.

I went to Hingham, and as I was riding up the street, some guy in a pickup rolled by and yelled "hey, the park's that way!" I yelled thanks, and rode that way. I had just gotten my tent set up when a bunch of black clouds rolled in, and there was a big thunderstorm. Ha! I would have been really happy for the covered area if I was cooking, but I like to spend some money in town when I'm camping for free. I went down to the bar, where I found three bikers who were having beer and food and planning to still ride about 36 more miles. They're nuts. The woman in the group had also spent today learning to ride with no hands. It really was the perfect stretch of road for that. They had heard about me from the Germans and from someone else, a few days earlier! Apparently my pat answer about where I'm headed, "I want to be in Alabama by Christmas," is catchy enough to repeat. I have been told it would make a good country song... We had some fun, and now I have a place to stay in Philly and in Birmingham, AL.

It was buck-a-burger night in the bar, so I ordered two. Then two more. Then one more... they were pretty small. I am a savage now when it comes to food. You would think I was raised by wolves. I feel like the Tasmanian devil whenever there's food around. Argle bargle slurp chomp! The bartender bought me a drink, and a local guy let me use his phone to make a call, since I can't get reception here. Apparently all of Montana is a Verizon kind of place... Everyone is so nice here. I'm still waiting to run into the bad people, but it hasn't happened yet.

Wednesday: slow going. Whiskey doesn't help you ride better the next day... Also, it's hot and windy and the road is bumpy, and I'm clearly a little whiny.

I got to Havre, where I spent entirely too long on the phone, but it sure is good to have reception, and I had some great conversations. I also picked up another book, since I finally found a bookstore. Whew! I saw the Germans again on the road and then when I got to Havre. They're a pretty nice couple. I expect I'll see them again on the road tomorrow.

There is some road construction here, and I got stuck on a messed up dirt road. I finally got a chance to turn off it, but there was a big pile of loose gravel right where I tried to turn, and I took my first real spill. Right on my face. But it's just a bump, and I think my helmet absorbed a lot of the impact. The lamest part was that two of my bags came off my bike when I fell and then I was right in front of some cars trying to put them on and hold up my bike at the same time. Pretty frustrating. Someone finally got out of her car and held my bike while I put the bags on, so I got through it.

I still want to make a few more miles tonight, so I'd better post this and get going.

6 comments:

jo said...

Should have had you look up the Mayor of Chester...my former boss' husband is the man of the town...aparently born and raised in Chester. And of course I could have told you there wouldn't be reception there either, but the diner in town is really nice! Glad to read that you're making such great riding time and meeting so many wonderful characters along the way!

Minnesotajo said...

Man, you are really booking it! You are halfway across Montana already! It's so cool all the great, nice people you are meeting. I loved that you offered to help clean rooms at the motel. Have you ever seen the movie, "Pay it Forward?" Your offer to help clean reminded me of this movie. See you soon!

Cheri said...

I haven't seen Pay it Forward, but I kinda know what it's about. I was thinking of that concept a little, because so many people have been really generous with me, and this was my chance to be generous with someone else. If there's one thing I have to give, it's time! And I want to maintain a good image for the bikers ;)

It's true, I'm making ridiculous time. I think I will be through eastern Montana in just over half the time I thought it would take. If all goes well.

BettyR said...

What happens if you get to Alabama BEFORE Christmas?

Cheri said...

I'll just ride circles around Alabama until December 24.

MOM said...

Just plan to be around Maryland in the first part of Oct. and you can use up some time with Holly and me ;) We'd love it. I too thought of that movie Pay it Forward when Cheri did that, don't ya know.
Bob and I took out the map after we talked Cheri, and found Havre and were like "WOW, it looks at least half way through Mt. if not more." You are making time. I happen to be in touch with Mike and said something about you might be there in around a month or so not really knowing how to judge the time. But the way you are going, it could be sooner. I'll be talking to him or emailing him soon though after you and I talk. So can always change that.