Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pilates Schmilates

Saturday, 28 June: Today there was a strong wind blowing from the NNW. When I was headed due east, I got a little boost from it while it tried to blow me off the road. When the road headed to the north at all, my silver lining was lost. When the road turned more to the north, it was super lame. It was a full body workout trying to stay out of the gravel. I got a good core workout, and tired pretty quickly. Because the wind was both strong and gusty, I got blown off numerous times. I really didn't like that, because there was a ledge at the edge of the concrete, and then gravel. Every time it happened, I thought I was going to fall when exiting or entering the concrete, or on the gravel. But I managed to stay up.

I got to a small town and inquired about camping in the park. The woman at the minimart said it was ok, and then told me about the town she was from, which is about a day's ride from here (wind dependant, of course) which has a lovely park where I can camp. Nice!

A couple of guys from the northwest showed up to camp, so I had some company for the evening. We discussed the towns we had been to, the food we eat, the people we've met, and sweaty bum rash. Good times.

They made really good time in the tailwind yesterday, so I am still kicking myself just a little for taking the day off...

2 comments:

jo said...

WooHoo - First poster. Let's see if I can remember my password. So glad to read you are getting by. Every time I work on my "adventure" motorcycle I feel like a poser now.. He he. Unbelievable how far you've gone. I know some people in Brainerd Minnesota if you need a place. Not much going on here but here's a good laugh for you. So Jonah is always catching heck for plugging the upstairs toilet. Today the girls are in the house, I'm out in the garage actually working on my poser alter ego (or mid life crisis depending on who you talk to) when my niece comes running out telling me I absolutely must come in the house, Jo needs me. Of course I don't just go and I ask what's wrong. "Jonah plugged the toilet and it's overflowing! So I say "your telling me two 13 yr olds and my wife can't use a plunger!" So I slowly make my way upstairs to find Jo ranting about large turds and a flooded bathroom floor. When I don't offer to take over cleanup duty I know I'm already in the shit so I head back outside. It's a no win situation for me so WTF. Then poor Jonah comes out to the garage in tears telling me his sister taped up detailed work instructions on the bathroom wall and he was totally embarrassed because he had to follow instructions to take a turd (by the way I can't spell so go ahead and laugh when needed). So I know it's a no win situation and tell him to hang out in the garage with me for a while. So when dinner comes around I go check out the instructions and realize I should hire my daughter as a technical writer!!! I wanted to laugh at the "take a turd, flush, wipe, flush, make sure went down the hole" sequence OMG (as Skyler would say). So I am trying to keep my cool while Jim and Sue get to experience another "Bill moment" and I tell Sky her brother is totally embarrassed and I thought the taped note on the wall of the john was inappropriate. Needless to say I make her cry (emotional today?) and realize I am totally outnumbered by females right now. So I go back to the garage to finish lacing the spokes on my front wheel only to find I screwed it up and have to start all over again. Four hours of work down the toilet, literally. Baaaahhh. At this moment I seriously thought I might kiss the rest of the weekend goodbye and go pick up a twelve pack and spend the rest of the weekend snoozing in the new hammock.
;-) You take care, be safe and keep enjoying the secret side of life. -Bill

Cheri said...

Ha! Maybe you should just spend the remainder of the summer splitting your time between the hammock and the garage...