Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Things have been fairly mellow since my return to Alabama. The weather has been sunny, but chilly, so there have been plenty of opportunities for walking, running and biking outdoors. For about forty-five minutes at a time. Then it's back inside for a hot shower. Holiday television programming has offered many opportunities for tv bulimia-- binge on a marathon of NCIS or Mythbusters, purge by turning off the tv and turning toward the kitchen.

The kitchen has been a fun place lately. We made our own mayonnaise for the first time which turned out to be quite tasty. We used it to whip up that southern classic: pimento cheese sandwiches (pronounced "pimenna-cheese"), using Miz Childers' (of the raw milk farm) recipe, as well as her homemade raw milk Colby cheese. But don't worry. We... fed it to some animals... or something...


My latest experiment in the kitchen was to make eggnog from scratch. It turned out to be completely awesome. The only bad part was that we took it to a New Year's party, and the other partygoers drank it. I mean, I guess it's good that they liked it, but we feel like we should have had more for us, so I may need to make more soon. It being made almost entirely of eggs, whole milk and cream, it may become a meal replacement drink for us at some point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddo - Was just catching up with your blog - I have the read the republican womens luncheon over and over - it makes me laugh. I can just see you. Thanks for amusing me. I see you are heading back to Alabama. Hope all is well - think of you often. So glad you did this. Loved our time with you. You are welcome anytime...will check out the Fat Tire with you.

...Behave - if you can. Love ya ~

Cheri said...

It's not easy, but I try...