Saturday, February 28, 2009

What's that? I can't hear you!

I've gone temporarily deaf.

On Sunday we went to see "Slumdog Millionaire," which we quite enjoyed. We got home in time to see it win pretty much every Oscar.

I split the weekdays between convalescing with my about-to-be-a cold, and cooking more delicious food. Sweet red pepper soup with risotto dumplings! Olive lentil casserole! Quinoa, broccoli and cheese casserole! Barley chickpea pilaf! Mmm.

On Thursday I discovered that one of my favorite bands, Don Caballero, would be playing on Friday! What, what, what?! I would have bought a ticket even if I was bleeding out my eyes! Fortunately, the threatening cold did not fully materialize, so I was free to enjoy the show.

I could not convince my country music lovin' cousin to accompany me to the math/prog rock show, so I went alone. The place was a sausagefest-- a fresh sausagefest, it being a seventeen and up show. I kinda figured this band would draw more dudes than chicks, but dang! I managed to befriend a woman who I think may have been the only other woman who was there sans man. I believe the two of us were in the top five percent, age-wise, and sadly, she didn't make it past the third band to the real treat, Don Cab. The first band, White Devil, was tight three-piece prog rock with no vocals. The boys were quite skilled, and I enjoyed the set. The second band, Cougars, was... well... let's just say I composed the better parts of this blog entry in my head while they played. Like half of the audience went out for a smoke during their set. The very theatrical lead made a joke about it, and they handled it well. I felt a little bad for them, but not a lot bad, because they weren't that good. The third band, a five-man group out of Canada named DD/MM/YYYY (pronounced Day Month Year) friggin rocked my socks off. They were ridiculously talented and interesting, and the kids SWITCHED INSTRUMENTS several times during the set. Who does that?! At all times, they had a guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, and a front man who kinda switched off between singing, extra percussion, some keyboards, and a horn of some sort. Good times! But then... Then...

Don Cab. Kicked it hard. So awesome. The prima donna drummer is the only original member, and he knows he is the show. He wore a stripy shirt and red gym shorts, while the two other dudes wore all black and were a bit self-effacing. I felt a bit sad for them, but not too sad, since they are touring musicians who are probably making a living off of their music, so they're basically living the dream. I tried to pay attention to the guys in black, but it was next to impossible to take my eyes off of the drummer. He seemed like he might have OCD or Asperger Syndrome. You can't be normal and drum like that.

Many of the younger, skinny jeans wearing hipster kids left after DD/MM/YYYY, so the Don Cab crowd was a bit older and less interested in how pretty and trendy everyone thought they were. Someone yelled out a song request, and Don Cab said that this wasn't a democracy, and if we had paid to come in, we should just trust them. Heh.

Fortunately the show was just a single train ride away from my cousin's place. A really long train ride, but no transfers or anything, so it was all brainless. I heart the train. That is one thing Seattle is lacking. I mean, we're working on it, but...

No comments: