Saturday, February 21, 2009

Derby Mayhem!

For V-Day, my cousin and I were joined by a friend of hers for a chick flick ("He's Not That Into You"-- I was not that into it...) and more "Shekels and Swords." On Sunday I went to church with my cousin (well don't look so surprised, I'm capable of behaving for an hour at a time!) and then we shopped and chilled and what not.

The weekdays were a blur of five-bean chili, banana chocolate chip muffins, curried sweet potato soup, our grandma's baked beans, oatmeal peanut butter cookies, and of course, the new workout video we picked up at Target on Sunday. It is the Dancing With the Stars Latin Cardio Workout. I approve. The difficulty of the steps occupies your mind and distracts you from the sweating and burning.

On Friday night we went to see the Windy City Rollers. One of the matches was almost painful to watch, because the winning team quadrupled the losing team's score. They had really good Jammers. As it wasn't too exciting, and the Budweiser was $6.50, and there were only a few injuries, we used this time to come up with our rollernames: Andi Capper and Cher the Pain. (My cousin also suggested Turner Over, which is an extremely close second.) The other match up was much more exciting, with the teams rolling close for the entire bout. They took the lead from each other every few minutes, and had the best ending ever: during the last few minutes the song "Final Countdown" started playing, and the lagging team scored a series of dramatic points to finish as winners. It was a really fantastic finale.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I about fell over when I read about "Shekels and Swords." I used to play that with the Mormon kids down the street when I was little. I always lost.

Andrea Rodgers

Anonymous said...

No way, that's awesome! I wonder how well this game sold, and how many are out there? Anyone else?

BettyR said...

My vote is for "Cher the pain"

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I like it too. Now I just need to buy some awesome four-wheeled roller skates. I already have a helmet and a bite guard...

BettyR said...

Oh no! Derby fever!

jo said...

I remember watching roller derby when I was a kid at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. Didn't realize it's still rolling in other parts of the country until about a week ago when I was watching biggest loser and one of the recently voted off contestants was talking about trying out with the local team in her home town. I had to chuckle. I used to love to roller skate as a kid, but I'm not sure I could hang with the big girls anymore. I have to agree with Cher the Pain! What an awesome roller derby name.
jo

ps...do you have spring fever?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's been a huge revival in the last few years, mostly of all-girl teams. I know the Rat City Rollergirls are member-owned, so I'm guessing a lot of the other ones are structured that way.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and not really any spring fever. I've been trying to get a cold for the last few days, so I've just been holed up on my cousin's couch, watching movies.