Thursday, July 30, 2009

Still more show reviews

Last week I caught Nashville's own Spinal Tap, Rowena of the Glen. She was so cute and sweet, I thought of her as the Dolly Parton of magickmetal. At the beginning of her show, she walked around the room with incense, blessing everyone. Even though it wasn't my kind of music, how could I leave the room? I stayed for the whole set.

On Saturday I got into the sweaty hot sold out Gogol Bordello show, which I've been looking forward to for at least a month and a half. Those guys did not disappoint. They brought all their energy and played two sets rather than have an opening band. Afterward, I went across the street to check out some fresh meat. They were pretty good for high school kids. Better than a lot of the twenty-somethings I've seen lately.

I swear, soon I'll move along and stop doing show reviews.

3 comments:

BettyR said...

I like the show reviews and it's making me very homesick for my homeland, where not ALL the music sounds like complaint rock, and people like to whoop it up and show an emotion or two while enjoying a band.

today's word verification- unistsaw
I think this is the Republic of Unistsaw where playing the saw is more commonplace than it is here.

jo said...

I like the show reviews too. Are you freelancing for a music rag? If not you should be.

Jo

cheri said...

Thanks, Jo! I bet that's a tough job to get, kinda like travel photography...

It's funny, I've never been this immersed in the music scene of any city. I was thinking I should catch a few shows in Seattle when I get home. I hope it's not *all* complaint rock...

Oh yeah, and I'm totally moving to Unistsaw.