Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hey...

Maybe some of you beer-loving scientists can tell me why any other beer consumed post Fat Tire tastes like bananas. I've noticed it particularly with Black Butte Porter and Yuengling Lager, but that observation has been limited by personal experience.

I've been too heavy on the show reviews, so all I'm gonna say about last Saturday's show was that I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like experiprogpostrock, check out Gunslinger and Pushy Lips. I know, I know, I chose to attend based on the name alone...

Oh, and Seattle? Don't think I didn't notice that your weather has actually been nicer than Nashville's a couple of times recently. You're on my list, pal, so just watch your back.

6 comments:

jickehnrackee said...

C7H14O2!

BettyR said...

and by "nice", you mean what, exactly?

"Banana flavor from Wyeast 3787"
... Evidently there are some strains of brewing yeast that produce banana esters. I think it's interesting that you are tasting them when they are NOT there.

BettyR said...

oh wait, I guess I misread that. I thought you meant that Fat tire tasted like bananas when you were drinking other beer after it.
I'm a dope!

Cheri said...

Like CH3COOC5H11? But why?

I've convinced other people that they can taste it, too. I never taste it while drinking Fat Tire, only when I switch to another beer. And I don't ever taste it in those beers when I didn't drink Fat Tire first. There has to be two different flavors that are reacting to create this one.

Seattle has been sunnier and warmer. I guess that isn't always a good thing, I've been pretty happy with the weather here, but it's odd that Seattle should be warmer than Nashville in the summer. I'm pretty sure it's the end times.

BettyR said...

yes. When a Seattle summer is warmer than a Nashville summer you can be sure were doomed.

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

LOL
You might try Alaskan Amber. Its not bad for a mass produced brew. It's not quite as heavy as FT and goes down good on a hot day. But it won't leave you feeling like you drank one of those "watered down Light beers."
Regarding banana flavors; you must be using your powers of psychological influence again :-p
I thought you wanted to quit messing with our minds??? ha ha
Oh, wait! Look what I found on a Google search: "Psychobananasillyosis"