Friday, June 27, 2008

Being Girly

Friday, 27 June: The sun was out and the wind was blowing hard from west to east. I kicked myself for already deciding to take the day off, but I have to stop regretting every decision I make. If I had rode, I might have made 800 miles with that wind, but I also might have gotten more sore and cranky and wished I had stayed in town.

I dropped off my bike at the bike shop-- no cute bike discount here, they are way busy and can't even check it out while I wait-- for a check-up, since I am not a mechanic, and have put 1500 loaded miles on it since I left, some of it on very rough road. I'll feel better knowing it's been looked at.

I went to the library, which is huge and open for many many hours, and picked up a bus schedule, then went down to the mall. Yes. I went to the mall, on purpose. I found a cute bathing suit at JCPenney, which was on sale, of course. That store never disappoints me. No luck finding pants that I like more than the ones I have, so I picked up a belt. Now I can retire that makeshift rope belt I was using to hold my pants up. I also got a few other things I needed, then caught the last bus at 4:19. Sigh. At least they have a bus system at all... I went to a Chinese buffet/sushi/mongolian grill restaurant, and-- holy diver!-- there's tofu! Sweet sweet tofu! It's been eight weeks since I've partaken of its guilt-free proteiny goodness. I loaded up on tofu and veggies, and told myself it was most definitely not a wasted day. It was pretty tough walking two or three miles back to the hotel with a giant chinese food baby, but I got through it with the help of another good hour long phone call.

I think I've had enough city time now to last until I get to Chicago.

3 comments:

Susan and Jim said...

I really love your blog. I check everyday to see what kind of day you've had. You're expanding my vocabulary. I'm so glad I found you at that fruit stand and that you stayed with us for awhile. Keep up the good work.

Minnesotajo said...

Ohhh...Good ol' North Dakota! I have a friend from Minot. They are good peoples there! Thanks, Rick, for looking out for our Cheri!

Enjoy the West side because the East definitely is flat and has lots of lovely wind! There's nothing to block the wind on the prairie. I still have friends in Fargo so if you need help around there, let me know! Or, Gwen is not far away in Pelican Rapids, MN! I'm sure you'll get your fill of the city of Chicago and will be happy to leave it behind!

I can't believe you have already gone 1500 miles! That's amazing.

Cheri said...

Susan, I'm glad I could be your "word a day." :)

Blurg, you aren't kidding about the wind, minniejo! I can't wait to get to the Windy City... I won't be going through Fargo, cuz I'm staying on 2. Do you know anyone in Grand Forks?