Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Texas = smooth roads

Many with actual shoulders! I feel like I'm back out west. I'm so happy! This morning I returned the Uhaul truck less than a mile from my route, then hit the road.

But the wind! Yeesh! Will it ever be beneficial? Today was a struggle, and I knew there was no chance of making it to the far away campground that I harbored vague fantasies of reaching. I was planning to push on for a few more miles, but had been on the lookout for stealth camping for most of the day. When I saw a dirt road heading into the woods, with a sign that said "Hardin County Park" and commemorated the eight mile logging road through the Big Thicket, I decided that meant it was public property and I could camp here. I found a spot off a 4x4 trail off the dirt road that is hidden from the casual authority driving through, but quite visible from the 4x4 trail, so I don't think I'll get shot by hunters. But if I'm never heard from again, start looking here: N 30°24.368' W 094°33.629'

I don't really have any cell service out here, just barely enough to slowly, painfully post this. Not enough to look up what kind of wildlife is in the area... But I'll tie my food up and everything will be crescent fresh.

3 comments:

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

Glad to read you are in better spirits. You could always turn north and do the continential divide trail ride? LOL I heard it goes through this little town called Kalispell. LOL

cheri said...

You think you're joking, but that's actually on the table. I have family in the Rockies, and no real desire to ride up through California.

(And I'm out of the woods, after a peaceful night's sleep. I think I finally caught up on my sleep.)

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

I read reports about it all the time. Mostly dirt road reports. Very pretty country coming up through NM, CO, WY. The imagery is stunning, but some very desolate areas.