Saturday, August 16, 2008

Almost a perfect day

Friday, 15 August: Hung out, rested, sunbathed. A guy who who was tent camping with his four kids invited me over for dinner and chatting. It turns out he grew up in Federal Way. Crazy!

Saturday, 16 August: Everything was awesome, it was sunny with a tailwind, and the shoulder was mostly decent to wonderful. A few miles into Ohio (the tenth state, for those counting) a woman stopped and offered me a cookie. What a welcome! I was cruising along, enjoying the ride, until I ran over someone's dog. A bunch of chihuahuas were chasing me, and one ran in front of my front wheel. Yikes! No one was home so I left a note explaining why their dog had an injury by his eye. I bawled all the way to the nearest bar, where I ordered a whiskey and a beer, and someone took pity on me and bought my drinks and nachos, which in Ohio come with iceberg lettuce, but they only cost $2, and you can finish the whole plate, so it is excellent. The bartender also took pity on me and let me stay at her place. She, her boyfriend and her brother are really great people, so I'm feeling a lot better now. Whew.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I know it is not funny, but the image of you being pursued by a pack of wild, ravenous chihuahuas, one of which clearly, in caartoonesque fashion, went for your tire is.... no, it is, not (hee), not (ahem), no, it can't be (gigge..) funny.

I know you must have felt pretty sad about the whole thing, but I bet the dog will be fine and, really, if there's anyone who should be feeling bad, it is the irresponsible owners of the little varmints.

Rest easy.

Cheri said...

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that:

a) he's probably fine
b) those dogs are always running out in the street chasing things, so it's a wonder they aren't all dead already
and c) it's just a chihuahua...

But it was still horrifying. I ran over his head with all 200+ pounds of me and my bike! I'm amazed it didn't explode! He struggled for a while before he could get up. I'm worried about internal injuries that will kill him slowly. I tried to pick him up to carry him back to the house but he bit me. Sigh.

NewsCat said...

I hate little dogs for that reason. The one that lived next to my parent's old house was always trying to get behind me and I was afraid it would bite my ankles. The owners just insisted "oh he won't hurt you" while it consistantly would try to come up behind me.

But yeah, I can totally see why it would freak you out to run it over! It's only funny if it doesn't happen to you.

Cheri said...

It's getting funnier...